Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Star Trek Report from Starlog #19

From issue #19 of Starlog magazine, published February of 1979, comes this edition of "Star Trek Report" by Susan Sackett. These monthly reports from Gene's secretary were a reliable and anticipated look at the progress of the movie.
(Click on images to enlarge.)

Update: Susan Sackett herself, who is a friend on my Facebook fan page, left these comments on the post over there: "Thanks for bringing back memories. Hard to believe they actually paid me to write this stuff! I think it was $300 per column, but I really don't remember, just that it wasn't a lot! Truth be told, it was really like trying to balance a ball on my nose for FOUR YEARS without dropping it! Finding things to write about and cheerlead for the "upcoming movie/TV series/whatever" month after month was a real challenge. Glad you enjoyed my little contribution!" Yes, we did, Susan. Thanks for the insight!

Bonus: below, from the same issue, a short news bit about the Yellowstone location shooting for the movie.

Also gleaned from the same issue comes this writeup on a Trek spoof by an Australian TV show. Although I never saw it, (with apologies to Mr. Hogan) it sounds about as dumb as a lot of the others done since then, a tradition that continues to this day... and they haven't improved much.

And below, finally, is a sad reminder of the time when I heard the news that talented Trek fan Mike McMaster had passed away.

For more material from this issue, go to my other blog "Fantastic Flashbacks" for a look at the painful collective memory known as "The Star Wars Holiday Special." Yes, Virginia, it does exist!

3 comments:

Abe Lucas said...

I'm sure you're pleased that the complete soundtrack to Star Trek III was announced yesterday!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/454/

Anonymous said...

SW Holiday Special is a happy memory for me! What would be painful would be to watch it now ha ha. But it seemed awesome when I was 6 years old!

Frederick said...

C.K.,
Yes, I was happy to read about it this moring over at Trekmovie.com! My record is about worn out.